Canon EOS R Compact System Camera is the first step in Canon’s mirrorless evolution. It pairs a redeveloped lens mount along with a completely updated full-frame image sensor for better performance. It results in a unique and sophisticated multimedia performance that leaves the viewer in awe.
The new RF lens mount makes the EOS R poised and one of the best amongst optical technologies. Other features include the high-resolution 30.3MP full-frame CMOS sensor, DIGIC 8 image processor, Dual Pixel CMOS AF system, high-resolution 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder, and many more make this camera a must-have for photographers on the go.
Above was just a summary of Canon EOS R Compact System Camera features, so let us have an in-depth look at them to know what makes this camera so remarkable!
Canon EOS R – product overview:
We are beginning with the EOS R lens mount, which is the newest innovation and makes this camera extraordinary. The mount is distinguished by a wide 54mm diameter and short 20mm flange-back distance, allowing the lenses to be faster and smaller. The 12-pin electronic contact system which the mount incorporates also leads to more sophisticated image stabilization and autofocus capabilities.
Next is the 30.3MP full-frame CMOS sensor, which this camera is equipped with, resulting in an optimal balance between low-light performance and high-speed capabilities. As this is paired with the DIGIC 8 image processor, it broadens the EOS R native sensitivity range of ISO 100-40000, enabling it to work in various lighting conditions. This strong combination of sensor and processor also allows quick continuous shooting to 8 fps.
Canon EOS R has a Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which leads to smooth and fast focusing performance. It features a broad and dense network of 5655 phase-detection, which reduces focus hunting and leads to a much faster and more direct control. So the focusing system acquires focus not only accurately but also very quickly, making it ideal for shooting and tracking moving subjects.
Perfect for video
For videos, there is a Movie Servo AF mode, which results in smooth and natural focusing and the ability to specify tracking sensitivity, Face Tracking priority, and AF speed. This camera also has a Touch AF system, making rack focus possible by simply touching elements on the touchscreen.
As the EOS R is designed for multimedia image-maker, it supports UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution recording at up to 30 fps, along with Full HD 1080p shooting at 60 fps and HD 720p at 120 fps. It also features an integrated Canon Log, capturing flat images with an improved dynamic range of 800%, making it easier to match cameras in post-production. For audio, there is an on-board stereo microphone as well as an optional external mic option.
The Dual Pixel RAW, which this camera feature, is also remarkable. It allows photographers to record all the information which the sensor’s pixel architecture can deliver. This results in fine adjustments to be made after the photo is captured, making post-processing easy.
Effects like focusing on fine-tuning, which helps to adjust the focus to bring out extra details. Shifting the bokeh around to improve composition can now be conducted with more efficiency and effectiveness. Even the impact of ghosting and noise can be reduced by using Canon’s Digital Photo Professional software.
Great electronic viewfinder
Next is the 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder, which is wow. It sports 0.71x magnification and has a bright means for eye-level viewing. Moreover, it features a rear 3.15″ 2.1m-dot LCD, which has a swivel design, making it easy to shoot high, low, and front-facing angles. The touchscreen interface is intuitive, giving users smooth control, playback options, and comfortable menu navigation.
It also has a customizable Multi-Function Bar placed near the viewfinder, set to control four functions. Its top panel includes a dot-matrix LCD, providing quick access to vital settings. The SD memory card is also incorporated and supports UHS-II protocol, giving it faster read and write speeds and making it more compatible to support 4K video recording and fast continuous shooting.
Coming on to its design and built, it has a strong magnesium alloy body, which is very lightweight and durable. It is designed to be dust- and water-resistant to be used in a variety of weather conditions. Furthermore, it has in-built Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, so that sharing and communicating becomes easy. It also allows the transfer of images with a compatible smart device via the Canon Camera Connect app.
It comes with an LP-E6N rechargeable lithium-ion battery that prolongs its recharge time by approximately 430 shots. In-camera charging is also supported.
Digital lens optimizer
Other Features of this camera include a digital lens optimizer, which helps minimize optical aberrations such as diffractions and result in a much cleaner image quality.
Secondly, it has a Multi-shot noise reduction technology that can record four sequential exposures and automatically combine them to create results with lower noise and smoother tones.
Moreover, the images are saved in this camera as Compact Raw files, which results in faster post-processing. It also supports more than 20 languages, which makes it very user-friendly.
What’s in the Box?
- Canon EOS R Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)
- LP-E6N Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 1865mAh)
- LC-E6 Charger for LP-E6 Battery Pack
- ER-100B Neck Strap
- Cable Protector
- IFC-100U Interface Cable (39.4″)
- RF-5 Camera Cover
- Limited 1-Year Warranty
Canon EOS R Specifications:
- Lens Mount: Canon RF
- Camera Format: Full-Frame
- Actual Pixels: 31.7 Megapixel
- Effective Pixels: 30.3 Megapixel
- Maximum Resolution: 6720 x 4480
- Aspect Ratio: 1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9
- Sensor Type: CMOS
- Sensor Size: 36 x 24 mm
- Image File Format: JPEG, RAW
- Bit Depth: 14-Bit
- Image Stabilization: Digital, 5-Axis (Video Only)
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto, 100 to 40000
- Extended ISO Sensitivity: 50 to 102400
- Metering Method: Center-Weighted Average, Evaluative, Partial
- Exposure Modes: Aperture Priority, Manual, Shutter Priority
- Exposure Compensation: -3 to +3 EV (1/3, 1/2 EV Steps)
- Metering Range: -3 to 20 EV
- Self-Timer: 2/10-Second Delay
- Recording Limit: Up to 29 Minutes and 59 Seconds
- Video Encoding: NTSC/PAL
- Audio Recording: Built-In Microphone (Stereo)
- Audio File Format: AAC, Linear PCM (Stereo)
- Focus Type: Auto and Manual Focus
- Focus Mode: Continuous-Servo AF (C), Manual Focus (M), Single-Servo AF (S)
- Autofocus Points: Phase Detection: 5655
- Autofocus Sensitivity: -6 to +18 EV
- Viewfinder Type: Electronic
- Viewfinder Size: 0.5″
- Viewfinder Resolution: 3,690,000 Dot
- Viewfinder Eye Point: 23 mm
- Viewfinder Coverage: 100%
- Viewfinder Magnification: Approx. 0.71x
- Diopter Adjustment: -4 to +2
- Monitor Size: 3.15″
- Monitor Resolution: 2,100,000 Dot
- Monitor Type: Articulating Touchscreen LCD
- Built-in Flash: No
- Flash Compensation: -3 to +3 EV
- Flash Modes: Flash On, Slow Sync
- Dedicated Flash System: eTTL
- External Flash Connection: Hot Shoe
- Memory Card Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC
- Wireless: Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Connectivity: 3.5mm Microphone, HDMI C (Mini), USB Type-C
- GPS: No
- Operating Humidity: 0 to 85%
- Operating Temperature: 32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C
- Battery: LP-E6N Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 7.2 VDC, 1865 mAh
- Dimensions: 5.3 x 3.9 x 3.3″ / 135.8 x 98.3 x 84.4 mm (W x H x D)
- Weight with Battery and Memory: 660 g / 1.45 lb.
- 30.3MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 8 Image Processor
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- UHD 4K Video Recording and Canon Log Gamma
- Sturdy built
- High-resolution viewfinder
- Compact and lightweight
So there is nothing to dislike about this camera. It is yet another masterpiece by Canon and makes your purchase worthwhile. It is an investment that no photographer will regret as this camera is durable, performs well, and the image quality is top-notch. What more can you ask for?
Have a nice time clicking around with this amazing piece of equipment, <- Affiliate link 🙂 and may the odds and lighting be in your favor!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
2 thoughts on “Canon EOS R review”
I always liked Canon cameras. I had a analog camera before but i will definetly interested in this newer model!
Thanks Daniel, this is indeed a real deal!