Z6 is a big step for Nikon’s in their imaging journey as this Mirrorless Camera optimally balances compactness with functionality.
The sleek design and lightweight is delivered without comprising optics and speed. That is why we have titled it as an “all-rounder” and Nikon Z6 has become our favorite!
Nikon Z6 Compact System Camera features are noteworthy, so let us have a look at them in detail in order to know what makes this camera so amazing!
The Nikon’s Z mount is introduced to deliver class-leading image optics and quality and that too in a compact size. The Z mount which this Z6 sport is no exception and has unsurpassed quality as it has a 17% larger inner diameter than the F mount.
This enables the usage of more advanced optics and designs. For compactness, the camera’s size and lens has been reduced by so it featured 65% shorter flange distance.
Then this camera has an exceptional sensor. The 24.5MP BSI CMOS sensor it is equipped with is perfect for all-around shooting and is impressive even in low-light quality. It also has fast readout speeds so that continuous shooting and time-lapse recording can be conducted.
The sensor also has a back-illuminated design which affords noticeably cleaner high-sensitivity output and reduces noise when shooting at high ISO values and vivid and smooth quality at low ISO values.
Complementing the sensor is the apt EXPEED 6 image processor that provides the camera with a wealth of speed, giving it the ability to shoot continuously at 12 fps in raw.
Moving on to shooting videos, this camera is good at it as well. It has 4K (3840 x 2160) UHD Video Recording which perfectly utilizes sensor and processor attributes. This is what makes Z 6 a more-than-capable multimedia camera.
Video recording is available using either the full-frame area or a DX crop area in 30p, 25, or 24p frame rates. For slow motion playback, full HD 1080p video recording is also provided at up to 120p.
Furthermore, these video files can be saved to both the in-camera memory cards and an optional external recorder. This camera also sports advanced video functionalities such as the N-Log gamma which maximizes dynamic range when capturing flat-looking footage.
More additions include an Electronic VR function for smooth handheld shooting and the ability to output high-quality 10-bit data via HDMI. The video mode also has focus peaking which can be used to enhance manual focus control.
It also has a Zebra Stripes option which helps to detect over-exposed areas. The audio recording is done either using the built-in stereo microphone or via an optional external mic connected through the 3.5mm stereo jack.
Furthermore, on the sensor, there is an array of 273 phase-detect autofocus points which cover 90% of the image area. This leads to accurate and quick focusing for both images and video and also provides a wide coverage area.
It also has Hybrid AF for video, so that the camera automatically switches between phase- and contrast-detect systems and results in smooth focus throughout the shooting.
Then this camera lens is also optimized for silent operation and the sensor has a shift Vibration Reduction mechanism for up to 5 stops.
The display is also on point as this camera has a large 3.2″ 2.1m-dot LCD screen which results in bright, and clear image playback and provides a vivid live view of the shooting. The screen is designed in a tilting manner so that both high and low angles can be captured.
Moreover, it has a touchscreen interface which leads to more intuitive operation, control, and navigation. Then there is a 3.6m-dot electronic finder which delivers comfortable eye-level viewing. It comes with a 0.80x magnification and makes use of NIKKOR optics so that sharp and clear image is guaranteed.
The finder is also covered with a Fluorine coat, making it easier to clean. The camera’s top panel is configured with a dot-matrix OLED which requires low-energy and is for immediate access to vital camera settings.
Coming on to the construction, the body is robust as it is made from magnesium alloy. The chassis is dust-resistant as well as weather-resistant. This enables it to work perfectly in harsh climates and enhances durability.
The grip and overall shape are ergonomically designed to benefit safe and comfortable handling for longer periods of time. Additionally, it is accentuated by anti-slip materials to securely hold and also sports a joystick for focus point selection and seamless settings.
It is also perfect for transfers and communication as it has in Built-in SnapBridge connectivity which leads to the seamless transfer of images together with remote shooting capabilities.
The Bluetooth Low Energy along with Wi-Fi makes communication a lot easier as now the camera can be paired with a smart device which will make working from a distance possible.
It comes with an XQD memory card slot which is compatible with CFexpress to enable quicker saving of images and supporting future media.
Moreover, the battery life is also spectacular and the EN-EL15b rechargeable lithium-ion battery that comes with it can provide approx. 310 shots in one charge. The best thing is that in-camera charge is also supported. So this camera is an all-rounder and it leaves nothing to be desired.
• 273-Point Phase-Detect AF System
• 4K UHD Video Recording
• Built-in SnapBridge connectivity
• Ergonomic grip
• Dust- and weather-resistant
• 5-axis sensor-shift Vibration Reduction mechanism
• Advanced video functionalities
In the Box
• 1 x Nikon Z 6 Mirrorless Digital Camera
• 1 x EN-EL15b Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
• 1 x MH-25A Battery Charger for EN-EL15 Li-Ion Battery
• 1 x HDMI/USB Cable Clip
• 1 x UC-E24 USB Cable
• 1 x BS-1 Hot-Shoe Cover
• 1 x DK-29 Rubber Eyecup
• 1 x AN-DC19 Camera Strap
• 1 x BF-N1 Body Cap
• 1 x Limited 1-Year Warranty
For more details about Z6, here’s a YouTube video by Henry’s Camera
• Lens Mount: Nikon Z
• Camera Format: Full-Frame
• Actual Pixels: 25.28 Megapixel
• Effective Pixels: 24.5 Megapixel
• Max Resolution: 6000 x 4000
• Aspect Ratio: 1:1, 3:2
• Sensor Size: 35.9 x 23.9 mm
• Sensor Type: CMOS
• Image File Format: JPEG, RAW
• Bit Depth: 14-Bit
• ISO Sensitivity Auto: 100 to 51200
• Extended ISO Sensitivity: 50 to 204800)
• Shutter Speed: 1/8000 to 30 Seconds
• Metering Method: Center-Weighted Average, Spot, Matrix, Highlight Weighted
• Metering Range: -4 to 17 EV
• Exposure Modes: Aperture Priority, Manual, Auto, Program, Shutter Priority
• Exposure Compensation: -5 to +5 EV (1/3, 1/2 EV Steps)
• Continuous Shooting: 24.5 MP at up to 12 fps
• Interval Recording: Yes
• Recording Modes: MOV/MP4/H.264
• Recording Limit: Max 29 Minutes and 59 Seconds
• Audio Recording: Built-In Microphone
• Focus Type: Auto and Manual Focus
• Phase Detection: 273
• Viewfinder Type: Electronic
• Viewfinder Resolution: 3,690,000 Dot
• Viewfinder Size: 0.5″
• Viewfinder Eye Point: 21 mm
• Viewfinder Magnification: Approx. 0.8x
• Viewfinder Coverage: 100%
• Diopter Adjustment: -4 to +2
• Monitor Resolution: 2,100,000 Dot
• Monitor Size: 3.2″
• Monitor Type: Tilting Touchscreen LCD
• Built-in Flash: None
• Maximum Sync Speed: 1/200 Second
• Dedicated Flash System: iTTL
• Flash Compensation: -3 to +1 EV
• External Flash Connection: Hot Shoe
• Memory Card Slot: 1 x XQD
• Internal Memory: No
• GPS: No
• Temperature: 0 to 40°C / 32 to 104°F
• Operating Humidity: 0 to 85%
• Battery: 1 x EN-EL15b Rechargeable Lithium-Ion
• Dimensions: 5.3 x 4 x 2.7″ / 134 x 100.5 x 67.5 mm (W x H x D)
• Weight Body Only: 1.29 lb. / 585 g
If you are looking for a camera with versatile features then surely this is the best one for you. Nikon has surpassed all other brands by creating this beautiful piece of equipment that has optimal characteristics. From design to performance, nothing will disappoint you.
So invest in this camera if you want the best value for your money in the compact range!