Canon never fails to impress, and this time its Canon EOS M50 Mirrorless beauty has surpassed all other cameras. It comprises of versatile features that suit both image and video applications.
Canon EOS M50 review
Canon EOS M50 stands out because it is packed with UHD 4K video recording, improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF, a high-resolution electronic viewfinder, Eye Detection AF, and much more. Sporting a 24.1MP APS-C CMOS sensor complemented by a highly-functional DIGIC 8 image processor and improved Auto Lighting Optimizer produces high-quality images and minimizes noise.
Other amazing features include the top 10 fps shooting rate, a sensitivity range of ISO 100-25600, and phase-detection autofocus for fast and smooth performance.
Additionally, his camera comes with a combination of IS 5-axis image stabilization, which leads to a steady and shake-free recording. It also has a 2.36m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder along with a 3.0″ touchscreen LCD, which has a vari-angle design that allows working from many. There is also inbuilt Wi-Fi with NFC, which enhances connectivity.
Now let us look at these features in detail to understand what makes Canon EOS M50 Mirrorless Camera so special?
Canon EOS M50 – product overview:
Beginning with its functionality, this camera features a 24.1MP APS-C CMOS sensor along with a DIGIC 8 image processor, which results in the deliverance of high sensitivity and fast performance, which is well-suited for both imagery and videos. It comes with a flexible ISO 100-25600 range, which is expandable to ISO 51200, making it compatible with various light conditions.
The sensor and processor work together to minimize noise as well and also enhance processing capabilities. Additionally, the Auto Lighting Optimizer leads to clarity in all sorts of shooting situations, which is notable. It also supports UHD 4K video recording at 23.98 fps, together with HD 720p120 settings for slow-motion recording and Full HD 1080p60.
Moreover, the processor also results in a ten fps continuous shooting rate, short interval times for a more efficient and intuitive shooting process, and fast camera startup time.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
The EOS M50 also incorporates Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which leads to smooth and quick focusing performance. It integrates two photodiodes within each pixel, thus providing a broad and dense network of phase-detection gathering elements. This reduces focus hunting and leads to a much faster and more direct control of focus placement.
When shooting stills, it makes acquiring of focusing more quick and accurate compared to other cameras, thus making it the best suited for capturing and tracking subjects in motion. It ensures that critical focus is achieved in every shot. Even there is eye Detection AF for portraiture, which emphasizes the focus on the subject’s eye to ensure sharpness.
For capturing videos, there is Movie Servo AF mode, which leads to natural and smooth focusing and the ability to specify AF speed, tracking sensitivity, and Face Tracking priority. This camera is then benefited by rack focus, which is possible by simply touching elements on the touchscreen for intuitively changing focus.
The Dual Pixel CMOS AF system also improves subject tracking in movies as the ability to maintain focus and recognize subjects within cluttered and changing scenery is heightened. Then the Combination IS combined with in-built 5-axis digital effectively reduces the appearance of camera shake.
Amazing 3.0″ touchscreen
Complementing the imaging attributes is the amazing 3.0″ touchscreen LCD, which provides an intuitive way to control focus points, navigate menus, and review imagery. The screen offers vari-angle so that working from high and low angles becomes more convenient and efficient.
There is an integrated 2.36m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder, which is bright and clear, providing effective eye-level monitoring and smooth touch working. There is a Drag AF for manually moving the AF for better intuitive control.
It also has Built Wi-Fi with NFC, which allows easier wireless sharing for both videos and images. It also has Bluetooth, which connects the camera to the mobile device for better control and permits quick and automatic remote control capabilities.
Moreover, the in-built pop-up flash leads to additional illumination, thus enabling shooting in low-light conditions. There is also an option for the hot shoe to work with an external flash for better control.
Additionally, this camera body comes with a versatile standard zoom lens. This provides a 24-72mm equivalent focal length. Moreover, the three aspherical elements help to minimize distortions and chromatic aberrations throughout the range. Even the optimized lens placement helps to reduce ghosting and flare.
The Optical Image Stabilizer minimizes the appearance of camera shake leading to sharper handheld shooting. It also has an STM stepping motor, which results in both near-silent and smooth autofocus performance.
What’s in the Box?
- Canon EOS M50 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 15-45mm Lens
- EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens
- LP-E12 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (
- Battery Charger LC-E12 for Battery Pack LP-E12
- R-F-4 Camera Cover (Body Cap) for EOS M Mirrorless Camera
- EM-200DB Neck Strap
- Terminal Cover
- Limited 1-Year Warranty
Canon EOS M50 Specs:
- Lens Mount: Canon EF-M
- Camera Format: APS-C (1.6x Crop Factor)
- Pixels Actual: 25.8 Megapixel
- Effective Pixels: 24.1 Megapixel
- Max Resolution: 6000 x 4000
- Aspect Ratio: 1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9
- Sensor Size: 22.3 x 14.9 mm
- Sensor Type: CMOS
- Image File Format: JPEG, RAW
- Bit Depth: 14-Bit
- Image Stabilization: Digital, 3-Axis
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto, 100 to 25600
- Extended ISO Sensitivity: 100 to 51200
- Shutter Speed: 1/4000 to 30 Seconds
- Metering Method: Center-Weighted Average, Evaluative, Partial, Spot
- Exposure Modes: Aperture Priority, Manual, Program, Shutter Priority
- Exposure Compensation: -3 to +3 EV (1/3 EV Steps)
- Metering Range: 0 to 20 EV
- White Balance: Auto, Cloudy, Custom, Daylight, Color Temperature, Flash, Fluorescent, Shade, Tungsten
- Self-Timer: 2/10-Second Delay
- Recording Limit: 29 Minutes, 59 Seconds
- Video Encoding: NTSC/PAL
- Audio Recording: Built-In Microphone (Stereo)
- Focus Type: Auto and Manual Focus
- Focus Mode: Manual Focus (M), Continuous-Servo AF (C), Single-Servo AF (S)
- Phase Detection: 99
- Autofocus Points: Contrast Detection: 143
- Autofocus Sensitivity: -2 to +18 EV
- Viewfinder Type: Electronic
- Viewfinder Resolution: 2,360,000 Dot
- Viewfinder Size: 0.39″
- Viewfinder Coverage: 100%
- Monitor Resolution: 1,040,000 Dot
- Monitor Size: 3″
- Monitor Type: Articulating Touchscreen LCD
- Built-in Flash: Yes
- Flash Compensation: -2 to +2 EV (1/3 EV Steps)
- Guide Number: 16.4′ / 5 m at ISO 100
- Maximum Sync Speed: 1/200 Second
- Dedicated Flash System: eTTL
- External Flash Connection: Hot Shoe
- Memory Card Slot: 1 x SD/SDHC/SDXC
- Wi-Fi: yes
- Bluetooth: yes
- GPS: No
- Operating Temperature: 32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C
- Operating Humidity: 0 to 85%
- Battery 1 x LP-E12 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 7.2 VDC, 875 mAh
- Weight with Battery and Memory: 13.65 oz / 387 g
- Focal Length: 15 to 45mm
- 35mm Equivalent Focal Length: 24 to 72mm
- Max Aperture: f/3.5 to 6.3
- The angle of View: 84° 30′ to 33° 40.’
- Optical Design: 10 Elements in 9 Groups
- Focus Type: Autofocus
- Image Stabilization: Yes
- Minimum Focus Distance: 9.84″ / 25 cm
- Filter Size: 49 mm (Front)
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 4.6 x 3.5 x 2.3″ / 116.3 x 88.1 x 58.7 mm
- Weight: 4.6 oz / 130 g
- 24.1MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
- DIGIC 8 Image Processor
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- Combination IS
- Large 3.0″ touchscreen LCD
- Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC
- Built-in pop-up flash
Summing it up, this camera has it all. It is jam-packed with noteworthy features making it one of the most versatile mirrorless cameras. Add this to your photography equipment <- Affiliate link 🙂 and let this beauty by Canon rock your photos!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?