People who are interested in the camera and their lens are well aware of Tamron and its complete and versatile range of optical solutions and lenses. When Tamron introduced its inexpensive and sharp result G1 lens known as Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 VC a few years ago, it shook things up.
G1 lens is known for surprisingly sharp optical results, but its user faced specific issues such as autofocus freeze-ups, long barrel extension, and lack of weather shields.
Tamron G2 SP 150-600mm is the successor of the G1 lens. It is launched with brand new features as well as resolved many issues faced in its predecessor lens.
This new generation telephoto lens of Tamron’s powerful 150-600mm lens featured enhanced quality aspects with the latest manufacturing technologies. It was engineered to deliver superior optical performance, faster AF, outstanding Vibration Compensation (VC), and powerful do-everything zoom.
Key features of Tamron G2 SP 150-600mm:
A lot of additional features enhanced this lens versatility, and it also enables us to capture moments with more sharpness and accuracy. The Tamron 150-600mm G2 is offered for Canon, Nikon, and Sony mounts.
Comparing G2 to its first version, it is built much better. This lens is a well-built version with its optical construction containing 21 elements in 13 groups. It has nine blades rounded aperture. This lens has a metal feeling and looking exterior giving more comfortable grip, but it can be easily removed. Another new feature in G2 is an improved tripod mount, which can be entirely removed if needed. Four switches are near the base.
Tamron also included moisture resistance into the Tamron 150-600mm G2. This makes it an easy go camera in different kinds of weather. The front element of the lens is coated with a protective fluorine coating that is water and oil repellent, providing extra safety.
Like predecessor, this G2 lens extends on zooming. There is a locking switch near the zoom ring to prevent ‘lens creep.’ Beside this zoom lock, there is also ‘Zoom Flex-Lock.’ It can be used to lock the zoom in place, keeping you at a single focal length. When zooming is not needed, this can be very handy.
Vibration compensation feature (VC):
G2 SP 150-600mm offers three image stabilization modes:
- Mode 1 It is the standard mode.
- Mode 2 for shooting while panning mode
- Mode 3 which doesn’t employ any VC until just before the image is taken.
The VC is equivalent to 4.5 stops. This VC effectiveness is based on image stabilization performance levels established by CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association) when using in VC MODE 3. Common issues faced while using a long telephoto lens is getting blur results because of shakes.
Improved VC features minimize image blur because of shakes in this lens. In generation 2, VC also enhanced the freedom of hand-held shooting at slower shutter speeds
This lens is very user friendly and ergonomically fit when one is using it. The front portion of the lens is composed of curved surfaces that comfortably fit in the photographer’s hands. Smooth curves are designed on the lens hood, allowing easy attachment and removal. Zoom locks give ease in operation.
It also features a novel design for the switches, easy-to-read characters, and metal finish, which makes smooth handheld shooting possible.
eBAND Coating is used in this lens to eliminate any ghosting and flare in an image. This coating offers higher light transmission. It also adds a significant improvement in the anti-reflection characteristics of the lens.
Minimum object distance:
Tamron reduced MOD to provide optimum tele macro photography experience. It is reduced to 86.6 in G2(2.2m), compared to 106.3 in (2.7m) for Model A011. Whereas Maximum Magnification Ratio of G2 150-600mm is 1:3.9
AF speed is enhanced in this lens to deliver perfect results even with faster moving objects. The Model A022 is equipped with a USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) ring-type motor that delivers excellent responsiveness and control.
Full-time manual focus:
While shooting with AF, AF speed is made more responsive, with the full-time manual focus override. This allows making instant fine focusing adjustments manually, without the need of switching between modes.
Electromagnetic Diaphragm System:
This system can be used in this Canon mount lens, which was previously used for the Nikon mount lens only. More accurate diaphragm and aperture control is possible via this feature because the diaphragm blades are driven and controlled by a motor through electronic pulse signals.
Two exclusive teleconverters are introduced in this lens. These teleconverters offer 1.4x and 2x magnification and provide a maximum zoom range of up to 1200 mm. These also extend the focal length of the master lens, making it possible to take pictures in farther ultra-telephoto ranges.
Tamron 150-600mm specifications:
- Model: A022
- Focal length: 150-600mm
- Maximum Aperture: F/5-6.3
- Angle of View (diagonal): 16°25′ – 4°8′ (for full-frame format)
- 10°38′ – 2°40′ (for APS-C format)
- Optical Construction: 13 groups containing 12 elements
- Minimum Object Distance: 2.2m (86.6 in)
- Maximum Magnification Ratio: 1:3.9
- Filter Size: φ95mm
- Maximum Diameter: φ108.4mm
- Length:260.2mm (10.2 in) Canon
- 7mm (10.1 in) Nikon
- Weight: 2,010g (70.9 oz.) Canon
- 1,990g (70.2 oz.) Nikon
- Aperture Blades: 9 blades in circular diaphragm
- Minimum Aperture: F/32-40
- Image Stabilization Performance: 5 stops (CIPA Standards Compliant
- If using in VC MODE: 3
- (For Canon: 5D-MKIII is used / For Nikon: D810 is used)
- Standard Accessories: Lens hood, Lens caps, Lens case
- Compatible Mounts: Canon, Nikon, Sony (Nikon Z compatibility, Canon EOS R compatibility)
- Refreshed optical design
- eBAND coating (for eliminating ghosting and flare)
- Fluorine coating (water and oil repellent)
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm system (compatible with Nikon cameras)
- Moisture-resistant construction (weather-sealed lens)
- Tamron’s TAP-in console
- Ultra telephoto zooms
- Improved ergonomics
- Enhanced VC and faster AF
- Three LD lens elements (to eliminate axial and transverse chromatic aberrations)
- One-shot AF accuracy
- Smooth focal length ring with proper dampening
- MFD (Minimum Focusing Distance) is longer
- Light and small lens than other lenses in the 600mm category
- Flex zoom lock, Zoom lock switch
- USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) ring-type motor. More control and better responsiveness
- Compatible with two exclusive Teleconverters
- Internal focusing (IF) system
- Optical image stabilizer unavailable for Sony version
- Focus freezing problems
- Weak edge performance (at wide and telephoto extremes)
- Autofocus operation limited by Teleconverter use
- Narrow aperture limiting performance of Teleconverters
- 1.4% pincushion distortion
Compared to its predecessor first generation lens, there are significant improvements in this G2 lens. This lens addressed the number of handling issues of the G1 telephoto lens and improved its features besides adding new features. Tamron G2 SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD A022 can be an excellent choice for wildlife, sports, and architectural detail photographers.
This lens features series of features including upgraded optical construction with 3 Low Dispersion lens elements, nine rounded aperture blades in the iris diaphragm, moisture seal, a metal lens barrel, a new zoom lock mechanism, revised Vibration Compensation (VC) system, removable rotating tripod collar, two optional teleconverters, and extended lens reach up to 1200mm.
There is no hesitation in highly recommending this lens, keeping in mind all these features.
The Tamron SP 150-600mm is a lot cheaper than its rivals and closest alternatives of Canon and Nikon. On ground reality, not that much cheap lens but good quality over 36Mp full-frame sensor, good image stabilization, excellent results with 1.4x teleconverter, weather sealing, quiet and precise AF operation, maximum magnification of 1:3.5 in MF, and all other traits make it a great lens to add in your lens gallery.