Sony took a single game-changing leap and revolutionized the world of image sensors and high-speed processors by launching Sony Alpha 9.
The performance of this camera reaches far beyond the small improvements, and the level this innovative piece of equipment has gained has not been achieved in decades of mechanical refinement.
It boasts no viewfinder blackout along with continuous shooting speeds that exceed any previous ones due to mechanical shutters. And these shutter speeds are available, without any vibration or noise. Can you believe it?
It also can provide flawless AF and AE tracking, which results in constant updating of the photographer’s view without lag as it keeps track of moving objects all the time. In short, Sony alpha a9 is the digital promise that has been created and delivered at last.
So let us examine in depth the workings of Sony a9 and see how it performs in the real world.
The Sony A9 comes with is designed for a comfy and decent hand grip. It can balance nicely on it’s with compatible lenses like Sony’s 24-70mm f/2.8 as the battery grip is certainly helpful here.
It is built to accommodate both professionals and beginners as it has a durable magnesium alloy body, which is also weather-resistant.
It can survive rough use even though it is not as safe as its rivals. However, the tool it includes makes it much more worthy than the competition.
This beauty also comes with a plethora of autofocus settings, which you can change according to what you are shooting. There is a general shooting mode that is used for simple shooting, and there are wide and center modes that make use of the central AF point.
Additionally, it consists of 5-axis image stabilization, making the results beyond perfection.
All these features are a little unnerving and hard to believe at first, but we reassure you that this camera does have these stunning capabilities.
Moreover, it features a burst rate of 20fps, which is an overkill as it has no viewfinder blackout. Now you can raise the camera and start capturing continuous bursts of shots at 20fps without any hitch or any sound. You have the option of switching to a fully silent operation if you want on the menu.
It does feel that Sony Alpha A9 is a product of witchcraft as it possesses features that were not previously possible. You also have the option of shooting in two slower drive modes if you want, so that you have a wider range of opportunities available. If you use a lens adapter that limits the range of longer focal length, then you will experience burst shooting performance of A9’s of 10fps.
Please see a video review by Michael the Maven, a comparison between 3 ”beasts”:
It also boasts an excellent viewfinder, which comes with a 120fps refresh rate. The viewfinder has a clarity of the 3,686k-dot resolution, which results in not only a beautiful but also large and clear view of what the scene being captured.
If you have a preference for top-notch EVF, then Alpha A9 provides you with the best. It leads to a real-time look at the scene together with a blackout-free burst shooting, which cannot be ignored.
It also features a bumped up Battery life which can deliver 480 shots in one go. This is quite an upgrade from the previous models and will come in handy when you are going to hold the shutter at 20fps as a working photographer.
With amazing Image quality and ISO100-51,200, it is something that landscape and studio photographers would plump for. This high-ISO performance is something that none of its rivals can match. The JPEG files, even at ISO 12,800, look pretty good, and none of the details are compromised.
The overall images it creates are perfectly usable. It also gives you the option to apply noise reduction post-processing if you feel the quality is not up-to-the-mark. It also features a 24MP sensor that can deliver rich images filled with detail, especially when complemented with better lenses.
This Sony A9 comes with a dynamic range performance, which is broad enough to enable recovery of a decent amount of highlight detail in the real world. It copes perfectly well with shadows as well and produces images that are beyond perfect.
The working is smooth, fast, and noise-free, so there is nothing more you can ask for. Sony remains true to its name of quality by introducing such an excellent piece of machinery!
- Lens Mount: Sony E-Mount
- Pixels Actual: 28.3 Megapixel
- Pixels Effective: 24.2 Megapixel
- Camera Format: Full-Frame
- Maximum Resolution: 24 MP6000 x 4000
- Sensor Type and Size: CMOS, 35.6 x 23.8 mm
- Aspect Ratio 3:2, 16:9
- File Formats: JPEG, RAW
- Dust Reduction System: Yes
- Memory Card Type: SD, SDHC, SDXC
- Image Stabilization: Sensor-Shift, 5-Way
- Video Recording: Yes, NTSC/PAL
- Audio Recording: Built-In Mic
- Focus Type: Auto & Manual Focus
- Autofocus Points: Phase Detection 693
- Contrast Detection: 25
- Viewfinder Type: Electronic
- Viewfinder Size: 0.5″
- Viewfinder Pixel Count: 3,686,400
- Display Screen: 3″ Rear Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- Screen Coverage: 100%
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto, 100 to 51200
- Speed: 30 to 1/32000 Second in Bulb Mode
- Shutter Type: Mechanical
- Type: Electronic
- Exposure Modes: Aperture Priority, Manual, Auto, Shutter Priority, Program
- Metering Range: EV -3.0 to EV 20.0
- Compensation: -5 EV to +5 EV
- Built-in Flash: No
- Max Sync Speed: 1/250 Second
- Flash Compensation -3 EV to +3 EV (in 1/3 or 1/2 EV steps)
- Dedicated Flash System: P-TTL
- External Flash Connection: Hot Shoe, PC Terminal
- Wi-Fi Capable: Yes
- Dimensions: 5.0 x 3.8 x 2.5″ (W x H x D)
- Weight : 673 g / 1.48 lb.
What’s in the box?
- 1 x Sony Alpha a9 Body Only Mirrorless Digital Camera
- 1 x NP-FZ100 Rechargeable (2280mAh) Lithium-Ion Battery
- 1 x AC-UUD12 AC Adapter
- 1 x BC-QZ1 Battery Charger
- 1 x Power Cord
- 1 x ALC-B1EM Body Cap
- 1 x Cable Protector
- 1 x Multi Interface Shoe Cap
- 1 x Shoulder Strap
- 1 x FDA-EP18 Eyepiece Cup
- 1 x Micro-USB Cable
- 1 x Limited 1-Year Warranty
- The performance is top-notch
- It is incredibly fast and efficient
- The viewfinder doesn’t blackout and has high resolution
- The level of customization is impressive
- The results from the 24MP sensor are excellent
- Not so robust weather sealing as compared with rivals
- XQD card slots not there
- With long lenses, the balance is not great
- Touchscreen control is limited
- Battery life is also not good as rivals
Summing it up, the Alpha A9 by Sony doesn’t fall short of its brand name. Sony has not failed to impress with this impeccable piece of equipment, which has an AF system that does wonders.
Sony has blessed this beautiful camera features that not only make it quick but amazing tracking performance, which you will only believe if you experience it.
Along with super-fast 20fps burst shooting and an EVF that is bright and large and doesn’t blackout, it is a must-have camera. This is the camera that has the best combination of features when it comes to shooting action.
So invest in this camera, and you will be ready to succeed in all your future photography challenges.