If you know a bit about action cameras and their brands, you do not need any introduction about GoPro. This is a famous brand all across the globe for its incredible cameras and their features. These features are usually brand-new to be found in any previously existing cameras in the market.
GoPro action cameras are one of the most versatile cameras in the world, and one of the most recent additions in this family is GoPro Hero8.
Hero 8 has all the signature features of Hero 7 but with mild improvements. The video quality, audio quality, TimeWrap, and HyperSmooth stabilization, all these are improved in performance perceptive with other software up-gradation.
Besides all that, Hero 8 has new built-in mounting fingers (no frame requirement), Voice control, 1080p live streaming, and the capability of shooting videos at 4K /60p and 1080/240p, waterproof structure for depth up-to 10 meters and a lot to discuss.
GoPro Hero8 Review
There are many things in this camera which can be discussed but here are a few details about this action camera to help you to know more about it:
Design and built-in
GoPro avoided any significant change in Hero 8 design from its predecessor. Without “mods accessories” and software updates, there is barely any difference in this camera as compared to its predecessor and all other previous generations of GoPro action camera.
The most prominent addition in physical design is Mods. These are physical accessories that help to attain more of a professional shoot by allowing you to improve lighting, sound, and visibility in your shooting experience. These mods are only compatible with Hero 8.
Some mods are named as Media Mods. These mods include 3.5 mm mic jack, HDMI port, and a shotgun mic, along with two cold-shoe mounts. Also, there are mounting fingers built-in i.e., pins that slide into the top of the pole. This helps to connect accessories to the camera easily without needing a frame mount and also enables easy access to battery and SD card.
There’s also no longer an HDMI port. There are four customizable on-screen buttons for quick access to settings like stabilization, zoom, exposure compensation, white balance, etc.
Another change in design from the predecessor is that the lens of Hero 8 is fixed and cannot be removed from the body of the camera. Though this lens is claimed to be two times stronger than usual lens glass still it can be a drawback for the people who use neutral density or color filters with their camera lens.
HyperSmooth video stabilization functionality is electronic video stabilization, which eliminates the need for gimbal even when you are shooting on a very rough path. It was the prime reason to buy Hero 7.
The good news is that Hero 8 has an updated version of HyperSmooth. No matter how rough shooting situations are, HyperSmooth 2.0 is capable of handling it pretty well.
There are three modes of stabilization for this feature :
- On(crop 10% from the Wide lens angle to eradicate any bumps)
- Boost (crops more than On to remove camera bounces when you’re doing something extreme) slow-motion footages are also stabilized when shot at 120fps and 240 fps. More stable shoots can be achieved with this flagship and improved version of Hypersmooth.
Already existing TimeWrap of Hero 7 is refreshed for Hero 8. Now, there are automatic sensors in the camera to detect motion and then adjust the speed. With a new update, the camera uses the new auto interval detection that uses an in-built accelerometer to add more frames at speed in which your video-lapses are recorded.
There is an addition of real-time video with TimeWrap, which helps to switch to regular video instantly.
Videos and Pictures
In addition to all the video qualities of Hero 7, this camera has some more interesting modes for a much better video experiment. The video format of this camera is H.264, H.265, HEVC, whereas images are saved in RAW format.
This camera showed incredible results for slow-motion footage shoots in a wide-angle. Some of the new video quality features are:
- LiveBrust: it allows the user to capture the number of images with an interval of 1.5 seconds, giving him a burst of 90 frames to enable him to choose the best image from the shot, which is great for difficult moving shots.
- Capture Presets: these are the customizable settings that can save a lot of time by allowing presetting ten image and color settings for various activities and easily switching between them.
- Narrow video mode: this mode can be used for close-ups and related footages. Now, these footages can look more professional because the max bit rate of 2.7K and 4K has been increased from 75Mbps to 100Mbps.
- HDR and night mode processing: GoPro specifically worked to enhance these two modes. Users of predecessors of Hero 8 can feel a clear difference upon using HDR and night mode and their results.
Shooting underwater with Hero 8, you don’t have to worry that water is going to damage the camera and its systems. This camera can be used 30 to 33 feet underwater without needing any extra protective layer or waterproof cover.
Better shock resistance
GoPro is claiming that this camera has better shock resistance than any of its predecessors, making it a more suitable camera for shooting in adventures such as hiking, cycling, etc. The lens of the camera is un-replaceable, but Corning Gorilla Glass lens cover is 2x stronger than regular glass, ensuring dual protection.
Mods and mounts also add additional protection besides providing ease to the user.
Improved audio quality
The audio quality of the camera is also upgraded from Hero 7. In this camera, the front-facing mic is positioned much better to capture the audio in front of the camera more precisely. Another improvement is the addition of wind resistance features.
This helps the mic to capture voices and sounds more accurate and eliminates unnecessary sounds in the background. Beside several customization options for the camera in general, many new voice commands are added to provide more ease to the user.
There is a 2 inches touchscreen for the camera. The type of display is LCD. To be very honest, this screen turned out a little turn-off. First, this screen is relatively tiny, and secondly, this screen is very sensitive underwater as compared to previous generations of GoPro.
This can annoy the user a lot if he takes Hero 8 for shooting underwater. This issue can be temporarily eliminated by using voice control – not underwater, of course.
Battery and usage time
The camera uses the 1220 mAh lithium-ion battery. This battery is of slightly higher capacity than Hero 7 because Hero 8 requires more power to operate. The recording time for the camera is 70 minutes at 4K/30.
Battery life can be stretched to 2 hours 20 minutes at 1080P, i.e., lower-resolution footage or TimeWrap videos. This battery life is not very appealing, and we highly recommend you keep an extra battery with you during your shoot. The charging time for this battery is 3 hours.
You can directly send your shooting Full HD 1080p resolution. These shoots can directly be sent to Facebook, YouTube, or your favorite streaming platform.
GoPro Hero8 Specifications:
- Weight: 0.35oz (10g)
- Dimension: 2.61 x 1.91 x 1.12 in (66.3 x 48.6 x 28.4mm)
- Widescreen Video Capture: Yes
- Optical Sensor Type: CMOS
- Face Detection Details: Blink Detection technology, Face Detection AF/AE, Smile Capture
- Digital Video Format: H.264, H.265, HEVC
- Recording time: 74 minutes at 4K/30 / 2 hours 20 minutes at 1080P30
- Image Recording Format: RAW
- Interfaces Provided: USB-C
- HDR Mode: SuperPhoto + HDR
- Navigation system: GPS receiver
- Camcorder Sensor Resolution: 12.0 MP
- Widescreen Video Capture: Yes
- Underwater usage: up to 30ft
- Wi-Fi built-in: 2.4GHZ/5GHZ
- Exposure Modes: automatic and program
- Storage type: Micro SD
- Shockproof: Yes
- Waterproof: yes
- Focus Adjustment focus free
- Underwater Use: Yes
- Scene Detection Technology: Yes
- Voice control: Yes
- Slow-motion recording: Yes
- LiveBrust: Yes
- Self-Timer Delay: Yes
- Microphone Operation Mode: stereo
- Wind noise reduction: Yes
- Microphone operation:3-mic system
- Battery: 1220 mAh
- Shooting Speed: 30 frames per second
- Maximum Resolution: 60 fps
- HD Video Support: 4K
- Display: LCD
- Display Form Factor: built-in
- Screen Diagonal Size: 2 in
- Touch Screen: Yes
- Wireless Interface + Bluetooth + Wireless LAN: Yes
- Connectivity Features: Live streaming, remote control via mobile devices, wireless image upload to the cloud server, wireless video upload to a cloud server
- better than ever image stabilization
- several new modes
- automatic horizon leveling
- side access to battery and card
- camera interface can easily be customized
- software improvements
- built-in waterproofing
- practical design
- easy to use
- better low light image processing
- Improved HDR
- twice shock resistance
- great battery life
- During recording, the camera gets very hot
- The 2 inches LCD screen is small
- Un-replaceable lens
- Touchscreen doesn’t work effectively underwater
- No onboard HDMI port
Go Pro is an industry leader when it comes to top action cameras, and GoPro Hero8 is the proof. Currently, this camera is the best non-360 action camera. If you want a camera with all up-to-date and advanced features, then buying Hero 8 is going to be a beneficial investment for you.
Like all other previous cameras of GoPro, Hero 8 stands out as an action camera with its incredible features. Such as improved stabilization via GoPro’s new HyperSmooth Boost, better than before video / audio quality and performance, RAW image output, Full HD live streaming, Mods accessories, Time Wrap 2.0, digital lens, waterproofing, better battery life, and several other things.
GoPro hero 8 addressed the points which were lacked in Hero 7, and this resulted in a significant software update and better than every camera results for a GoPro. The user of this camera is also capable of customization – for example, which options he wants on the screen.
Hero 8 shows functional upgrades to its best features and packed it all into a camera that much easier to use. If you are a vlogger or into photography in general, we highly recommend you to buy it asap.